Tomorrow — or today, actually — I will be heading into downtown Raleigh to see a free Violent Femmes show (warning: link is loud). Sponge will be there too, and although I know I heard them back in the day, and in fact probably saw them at one point or another, I can’t remember any songs of theirs.
I have seen the Femmes about three other times — HFStival ’94, Smoky Mountain Jams in… ’97, I think — and one other time which escapes me. In any case, as the above shows are pretty indicative, I didn’t go to specifically see them — but they’re still a band that I could see a million times… they’re fun.
Maybe the third time was at DC101 chili cookoff? That doesn’t seem right, but I can’t remember.
Acts/Shows I’ve seen (per Wikipedia, with some editing for clarity)… I am sure I am missing some:
1993: Main Stage: Primus, Arrested Development, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Front 242
Side Stage: Sebadoh, Cell, Mutabaruka, Luscious Jackson, Mosquito, Mercury Rev
(didn’t watch anyone on the side stage for this one though)
1994: Main Stage: Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Green Day, A Tribe Called Quest, The Breeders, L7, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Boredoms Side Stage: Stereolab, Charlie Hunter Trio, Shonen Knife, Lambchop, Guided By Voices, The Flaming Lips, the Verve, Boo Radleys, Cypress Hill, Black Crowes, Luscious Jackson
(probably not all these played the side stage when I was there. I was introduced to Charlie Hunter Trio then, though. Fantastic)
* HFStival (1994):
Cracker, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Meat Puppets, Counting Crows, James, Pavement, Rollins Band, Violent Femmes, Afghan Whigs, Gigolo Aunts, Tuscadero, Greenberry Woods, Lotion, Madder Rose, Edsel
* Saw Emmet Swimming and that one-hit wonder, “For Squirrels” in 1995 or so. They were still milking that song about Kurt Cobain, so it had to be sometime not too long after 1994.
* Saw Atari Teenage Riot in 1996 or 1997. That was a waste of $10.
* Smoky Mountain Jam (1997):
V-Roys, Violent Femmes, Widespread Panic
* DC101 Chili Cookoff (2001):
The Go-Gos, Train, and a bunch of other dumb bands that fall under the by then-dead horse “alternative” label. Sponge was probably there, actually.
* Seen the Pietasters a few times too, once way back in about 1993, when they were WAY local, and then sometime around 1997 or ’98 at Virginia Tech
* Bob Dylan sometime around 2001 at MCI Centre. It was post-Love and Theft
* Paul McCartney sometime around 2002, also at MCI
* B.B. King sometime around 2003 at Wolf Trap
* Aretha Franklin around the same time as B.B. — was the same summer, anyway, I think. Also at Wolf Trap
Kid Koala, Jack Johnson and Ben Harper in … oh, 2003 or so.
Also, saw Vince Neil and Poison right around that same time — hey, they were free tickets. Got there too late to see Skid Row, sans Sebastian Bach
Suzanne Vega played as part of a free show at Herndon Days, perhaps also in 2003, or maybe 2004.
I think I saw Amy Grant when I was about 12 years old, too.
Also – am I the only one who finds Jack Johnson just kinda… boring? I dunno. I’ve only heard a bit of his stuff, mostly radio, and I didn’t really dig it, nor was I particularly impressed when he opened for Ben Harper a few years ago. Am I missing anything?